SHORT STORY : OUR BACHILLERATO WINNER

 

Objects

“Sorry the phone you are calling is not available at the moment. Please leave a message after the signal or try again later… ”

 

beep

 

Hello Tyler, uhmmm… I've tried to call you a couple times, well you've probably noticed that on the amount of missed calls… This is a weird way to do this kind of thing you know? by voice mail… but yeah, anyways… uhmmm I really think we should have talked about this face to face, that was the only reason I was calling, to try to end things in the best way possible. But yeah don't worry about it, you are probably very busy so uhmm...

I have received your lawyer’s letter inviting me to list the common property, in order to begin the process of dissolving our marriage… I'll tell my lawyer to send you all the necessary documents as soon as possible.

I've made a list and as you'll see I've divided it into two parts. Basically, they are a bunch of things from our 4 years of marriage that I want to keep and another that you can keep… so here it goes.

 

Things I want to keep:

-          The feeling of Goosebumps when I saw you for the first time at the office.

-          The light smell of perfume that floated around in the elevator every morning when you walked in. That was when I still didn't dare to speak to you!

-          The first time we talked, April 13th, you helped me use the coffee maker, that damn thing was always broken, I swear I wasn't trying to flirt!

-          The day you invited me to have lunch with you, I've never enjoyed a prefabricated salad as much as that day.

-          The butterflies I felt in my stomach when we had our first kiss.

-          When we waited under a roof for hours, soaked,  waiting for the rain to stop, on our way home.

-          How your eyes lit up when I first introduced you as my boyfriend.

-          The freckles on your face during summer.

-          The way you said “I do”.

 

Things you can keep:

-          The silences. 

-          Those cold morning kisses, which were passionate at the beginning, but ended up being just part of the routine.

-          Nights overthinking.

-          Jealousy.

-          The insults and fights.

-          The lies.

-          The feeling of anguish when waking up at night and discovering that your side of the bed is empty. 

-          slamming doors.

-          unaccomplished promises.

-          Luke and Olivia ... the names that we liked for the children we never had.

-          The note you never wrote, the day you left, and you never came back.

 

With respect to the rest of the objects that we have acquired during these past years, our car, our house… etc,  just let you know that you can keep them all. After all, they are just that, objects.

 

“Sorry, the voice mail of 640285341 is now full, your message could not be sent successfully. Try again later”

 

Comments

Popular Posts